Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dayton Construction

In August 2009, I documented numerous, longterm construction projects going on near my house that took forever to complete because they appeared to be poorly planned and organized, and people rarely worked on them.

A couple of days ago, the government starting tearing up trees in the park nearby, right along the stretch of I-75 they completed in 2009 after a couple years of work. When I asked what was going on, a worker told me they were putting a road through. They didn't put the road through when they had all the equipment here, but now two years later, they're tearing up a bunch of the same land to put a road through. I decided I'd document this project in an ongoing fashion.

This picture shows the destruction looking from the park toward I-75. That was a solid line of nice trees Monday.

This is looking north along I-75.

This is looking south along I-75.

I figured since I was doing this, I'd also show the construction around Main and I-75. I have pictures of this construction in that August 2009 blog post. It's been continuously under construction ever since, and it's still going.

This is looking north up Main at I-75.

This is looking south down Main at I-75.

They're also clearing trees next another building along I-75 toward Main. I assume the road is going through there too.

In typical government fashion, after knocking down all the trees and blighting the park, nobody is working there today. A month ago or so they removed all the toys at the playscape, leaving behind only the supports. I figured they were going to upgrade it. I should have known better. Yesterday they fenced it off so nobody could get to the supports and climb on them either. I guess that's their way of making sure no kids come around the construction area.

They didn't talk to anybody around here to get input on the plan. Everybody on the street was surprised and unhappy. That's probably why nobody talked to us. It'll be interesting to see what they're really doing. I'll bet dollars to donuts (maybe that's a bad bet, donuts are probably worth more than dollars by now) it won't improve our neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment