Monday, August 27, 2012

Misc

I'm downloading Ubuntu. Apparently it takes 21 minutes. I was thinking back to my sophmore year of college in 1982 when I took Fortran at UC. I had to sit at a terminal and type in my code. When I was done,   I had to walk to the end of the terminals and pick up my punch cards.Then I had to walk somewhere else and insert my punch cards into a card reader for the computer to read. Then I had to walk somewhere else and pick up the printer output for my program. Fortunately for me, I didn't have to do this very often because my programs were generally right the first time. But, despite that incredibly inefficient system and having to walk all over the computer lab from one place to another to another to another, it was still faster than waiting for a Windows computer today. I designed microprocessors my whole career. I know how much faster we made them. I understand Moore's law, but I swear to God - may he strike me down if I'm lying - Microsoft has made computers shower than they were in 1982, including the walking time. I really can't imagine how Bill Gates managed to make computers so much slower and harder to use while still being considered an innovator. Gates was a marketer, not an engineer. His products made computers harder to use, not easier. He made them slower, not faster. I can't think of another human being who did more to restrict the benefits from computers than Bill Gates. Yet he's considered a genius. He's definitely a genius at looting people, but not at providing a product that benefits people. The only reason he was able to get away with this and profit from it is his association with government.

No comments:

Post a Comment