Sunday, December 10, 2006

Genetic impetus for modern liberalism

Lyle Rossiter has written a book equating the modern liberal mind with madness. An entertaining excerpt can be found here.

But I think there's a simple genetic impetus that explains the behavior of the modern liberal. All humans have the genetic imperative to help each other in a reciprocating fashion. I'll help you build your house, and you help build my house. We both win.

But in a larger community, the fewer resources I have to provide for cooperation relative to everybody else, the better for me. So it's in my interest to have everybody else maximize the resources they spend helping, while minimizing my own but still guaranteeing the same return. To that end, I empower government to take resources from everybody to help others.

That strategy means that I don't have to provide as much of my personal resources to achieve the same effect. This is borne out by studies that show on average liberals give far less to charity than normal people.

One major failure of this strategy is the inefficiency of the process. We waste a ton of money redistributing wealth in this fashion, but liberals still believe it is in their best interests despite that. The strategy also alienates the individuals who have their money taken against their will. It also satisfies the genetic imperative of the people receiving the money to maximize their gains relative to their effort - meaning it disincentivizes them to provide for themselves, which requires effort on their part.

No comments:

Post a Comment